Friday, May 23, 2008

Mother's Day

Hi everyone!!

It seems that every time I start a blog I apologize for not writing for a while. Oh well, guess I shouldn't break tradition SO I'm sorry for not writing earlier :o)

My parents left the snow and cold of Leadville CO to come down to warm, sunny (and humid) Alabama. They got to stay for a week and I took two days off (wed and Thurs) Fri, Sat and Sun were already my normal days off. We didn't really DO a whole lot while they were here (I know, you're suppose to jam pack a vacation full, but occasionally it is nice to take the time off and actually relax!! What a concept! :o) But we did go out to eat alot and my mom and I went shopping a lot and Dad and Josh put new brakes on my car. We also went down to the beach on Saturday (Josh's mom came with us too). And yes, we all came home looking like lobsters. Poor Josh! He blistered his chin and his lips and he even put sunscreen on and had a hat on!! The water was cold when you first went in but it "warmed up" quickly. I guess I prefer that over August when the water feels like a hot tub and you don't get cooled down getting in the water. And guess what? Josh's mom got my mom to go into the ocean on a floating bed thing. IN THE OCEAN!!! My mom was in the ocean!!! I think she enjoyed it even though she was scared. Me, my MIL, Josh and my dad went snorkeling--it was Dad's first time and he really enjoyed himself. If they didn't live in the mtns I think he would have found a new hobby! We saw some big black and white fish, some little fish that jumped out of the water and I saw a puffer fish!! That was cool!! We also saw some little jelly fish. I'm a wuss so I promptly left that area.

God was also nice enough to arrange everything so my parent's were here over Mother's Day. I was very much dreading that day. My first mother's day and no baby to hold. It's not fair (yes I know, life is not fair; but still!!). I had already decided I wasn't going to go to church that morning--I went into a state of depression just reading about the mother's day program in the bulletin. So we decided to go to Macedonia Baptist church, right up the road, for Sunday School and then we'd go to the park and have a cookout.

Well, even in unexpected places, God gives us hope and understanding. After our class ended they started asking us all kinds of questions; at first we kind of tried to dodge some of them but we finally had to explain that I was avoiding our church for mother's day and then we were having a cook out. I felt bad skipping church and felt guilty that Josh and my parent's couldn't go either but the couple we were talking to smiled and nodded knowingly and she said "we have fertility problems--we've spent 9 years avoiding church on Mother's and Father's day, but we adopted our daughter two years ago, so this is my 2nd mother's day to celebrate. We completely understand!" Wow, God is good!!

Then we went to the park and had our cookout--it was wonderful! For a day that I was making myself sick dreading it, it did turn out very well. I also got a Mother's day card and mug from my parents (they said it is very hard to find a card that doesn't say "happy Mother's day") but the mug had the verse "But happy are those...whose hope is in the Lord their God" Ps 146:5. I cried when I got those but it was still nice. And Ashleigh, my very sweet SIL, called to tell me happy Mother's day, even though it wasn't happy, I was still a mother and she wanted to tell me that. And my other SIL Katy, told me that someone asked her the other day if she had nieces or nephews and she told them yes, but she was in Heaven. I broke into a big grin and started crying. It's nice to know my precious child is not forgotten.

Well, now that I've written a book I'm going to close this and maybe start on the one about my birthday (if we don't leave before that!! We're going to Georgia for Memorial day!)

Sarah

2 comments:

Ashleigh Baker said...

I didn't hear about your mom getting in the water. ;) I'd like to have seen that!

Love you lots

Courtney said...

I've been through many a teary Mother's Day at church, too. This is my first year with "babies" to hold since we adopted our 6 and soon-to-be 5 yo sons last December. Hang in there!